Black and White images are from the MACRIS site, and link to that database.Color images are from Wikipedia, assessor’s online databases for each town (Patriot Properties & Vision), Google maps searches, real estate sites, preservation organizations, and by the author of this blog, Gordon Harris (Ipswich town historian).
While such an ancient origin is not indicated by an examination of the exterior, deed records substantiate the local tradition.
In 1650 a Steven Flanders was “admitted a townman on the condition that he “constantly keep the town herd of cows.” The original ownership of the house is unknown, but by 1854 it was owned by A.
Another ell, at right angles to the rear northeast corner, dates from the mid-nineteenth century.
The room interior has a huge fireplace with brick ovens in the keeping and four smaller fireplaces in the parlor, bedrooms and loom room.
The structure was extensively modified by Obadiah Colby in the early 1740’s. Thomas Macy was Amesbury’s first town clerk, held many town offices and was involved in numerous land transactions. How much of the original First Period house remains is uncertain, but all of the main building is pre-Revolutionary in origin.